Monday, June 27, 2011

Rachael's Burger and KAF's Buns

Another winning recipe from Rachael Ray! This is a delicious burger with a fantastic sauce and a wonderful drizzle! I had this for dinner on the weekend as it was only me and the kids. It does take a little extra work but they are simple and the end result is just fabulous! I first saw this gorgeous burger from Brenda's Canadian Kitchen, before I bought Rachael's book Look+Cook, and I knew that I will make this sooner or later. This delicious burger together with homemade buns makes a satisfying meal!


The Bun :
This bun recipe is from one my favourite site, King Arthur Flour. Again, the first time I came to know of this recipe  from Brenda's Canadian Kitchen! (Hi Brenda! thanks!). As what Brenda says, and I totally agree, you will never buy buns from the store again! This is the best burger bun there is! It is soft and everything what a burger bun should be. Buying burger buns from the bakery will only be a last resort for me now! I have bought burger buns from the bakery before and it is not always fresh and soft. Read all the great reviews of this bun here.



I'm submitting this to Aspiring Bakers, hosted by The Sweetylicious where the theme for the month of June is "Bread Seduction"

Beautiful Burger Buns
(source from King Arthur Flour)
Yield : 8 large buns
3/4 to 1 cup lukewarm water
2 tablespoons butter
1 large egg
3-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (I use 2 cups bread flour + 1-1/2 cup AP Flour)
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast
3 tablespoons melted butter (for glazing)
* For best results (a smooth, slightly soft dough), use the smaller amount of water in summer (or in a humid environment), the greater amount in winter (or in a dry climate), and something in between the rest of the time.

  1. Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients - by hand, mixer, or bread machine - to make a soft, smooth dough. (I use the bread machine)
  2. Cover the dough, and let it rise for 1 to 2 hours, or until it's nearly doubled in bulk. (My dough took about an hour).
  3. Gently deflate the dough, and divide it into 8 pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball, flatten to about 3" across. Place the buns on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, cover, and let rise for about an hour, until noticeably puffy. (My buns took about 30 minutes!)
  4. Brush the buns with about half of the melted butter. 
  5. Bake the buns in a preheated 375F oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden. Remove them from the oven, and brush with the remaining melted butter. This will give the buns a satiny, buttery crust.
  6. Cool the buns on a rack.

***************

The Burger : 
Sirloin Burgers with Garlic-Black Pepper-Parmesan Sauce & Roasted Tomatoes with Basil & Balsamic Drizzle.
That's a long name for a burger! This burger does take a little extra steps to prepare, but it is worth the effort. I used ground pork instead of ground sirloin. While the burger itself is just seasoned with a little salt and pepper, the sauce and drizzle is just fantastic. The sauce is prepared by cooking the milk, garlic, and black pepper with a little flour until thickens and the cheese is stirred in. Really good! The balsamic vinegar is cooked by mixing with a little brown sugar and boils until thick and syrupy. This makes a lovely drizzle on the burger. If you are a burger fan, this is a must-try!  

Thick slices of ripened tomatoes are drizzled with olive oil, season with a little salt and pepper, and baked in the oven for 45 minutes until caramelized! Beautiful!

Delicious burger. We did top it up with more lettuce, lovely!

Sirloin Burgers with Garlic-Black Pepper-Parmesan Sauce & Roasted Tomatoes with Basil & Balsamic Drizzle
(adapted from "Look+Cook" by Rachael Ray)
Serves 4
3 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
2 tablespoons EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil), plus more for drizzling
salt and pepper, plus 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
2 pounds coarse-ground sirloin
3 tablespoons butter
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (I use cheddar cheese)
Balsamic drizzle, store-bought, or reduce 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar with 3 tablespoons brown sugar over medium heat until thick and syrupy, a couple minutes
7 to 8 red leaf or red romaine lettuce leaves, shredded
4 kaiser rolls, toasted
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, 8 to 10 leaves, thinly slice


Preheat the oven to 325F. Place a cooling rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Arrange the tomatoes on the rack, then drizzle with a touch of EVOO and season the tomato slices with salt and pepper. Roast the tomatoes for 45 minutes, or until tender and caramelized. Set aside.
When the tomatoes are about ready, place a large skillet over a medium-high heat with the 2 tablespoons of EVOO. 
While the pan is heating up, combine the sirloin with some salt and pepper. Form the mixture into 4 patties thicker at the edges and thinner in the centre for even cooking and to ensure you end up with a flat burger (the burgers will bulge up during cooking). Cook the patties for 10 minutes for medium-rare, turning once. Cook for 12 minutes for pink centers and 14 minutes for well-done.
While the patties are cooking, place a small pot over medium heat with the butter. Add the garlic to the melted butter and cook for about 1 minute. Add the flour to the pan and cook for 1 minute more. Season with salt and the coarse black pepper. Whisk the milk into the butter-flour mixture and bring up to a bubble. Simmer until the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the grated cheese. Prepare a balsamic drizzle in a small pot if not using store-bought.
To assemble, place some lettuce on each bun bottom and top it with a burger patty. Pour garlic-black pepper-parmesan sauce over the top, set the roasted tomatoes in the sauce, scatter basil over the tomatoes, and garnish with balsamic drizzle. Set the bun tops in place and serve.


  ******

31 comments:

  1. wish i have a this burger for my tea break now, look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your burger looks mouth-watering. I'm so impressed that you made your own hamburger buns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't eat burgers but those buns are perfect!!

    Ciao
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I've always wanted to bake burger buns myself. Thank you for sharing this recipe. Your burger buns look great, much more beautiful than those in the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a much better bun maker than I am Joyce, look how perfectly formed they are, wow! And that pic of your burger is gorgeous. It looks SO good!! Thanks for the shout-out and glad you enjoyed your burger and buns! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love homemade buns n these burger buns are indeed beautiful!Loved all your pictures, very nicely presented!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  7. that sauce sounds heavenly for burgers! eh, no more mcdonalds, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So tempting! I have never made any buns at home but your blog makes me have the impulse to do it! Thanks for the beautiful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Querida KF..casi me trago la pantalla se ve exquisita y muy linda,muy tentadora,cariños y abrazos grandes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, this does look amazing! The buns, the burger, the sauce...you've made me hungry again even though I've already had supper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look delicious Kitchen Flavours, I love these buns, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  12. never attempted homemade buns!They look so buttery and yummy! Wow- great for any burger or you could just eat them by themselve! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the recipes from King Arthur Flour too! These buns are fantastic and I hope to make them too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a great burger and love the sauce and homemade buns, too! Fab! Thanks for the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW, how delicious is this! I would love to be at your table, when is dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a hearty meal. So fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow...you make your own bread and burger!! That's fantastic...better than those bought from shops. I'm sure they taste really good.....mmm

    ReplyDelete
  18. This recipe has been in my to-cook bookmark list and I'm glad to see you've had a positive experience with it. They look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for coment in my blog, I loved. This recipe is fantastic. Have a nice week. Kisses, Marta

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, you really have to UP the flavor even more by using a really good salt. My fave is HimalaSalt pink salt from Sustainable Sourcing (here's their website if you wanna check it out: https://secure.sustainablesourcing.com ). And it would be good sprinkled on the meat OR the tomatoes....which I now must run off and MAKE for supper!!!! Thanks for posting an excellent recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These buns look amazing and this is quite a burger for sure :)
    Hope you are having a great week...

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow this burger is looking very delicious!!!! lovely clicks!!!

    First time to your space, I'm loving it. No doubt i'm following your blog.
    I will be very Delighited to find you in my followers list of my blog.

    Happy Blogging!!!!
    Food Blog News Daily
    Good Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  23. This wonderful food is for my childrens!!!
    Thank you so much, my dear friend!!!
    Many greetings and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like making my own buns too from King Arthur! They're the best! Your burger rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think you could describe this in one word, Tasty. I love the sauce and glaze. I love the entire burger.

    I saw the rolls also, at Brenda's and King Arthur's Flour is also one of my favorite sites. Now, all I have to do is make these rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness -those burgers look amazing!! And I agree - once you have homemade buns, you never want to buy them again! Thanks for participating in Saturdays with Rachael Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey, great site and great recipes and I've bookmarked this page and plan to come back often. But I have to mention that your bun recipe has a typo. The second ingredient listed is 2 tablespoons of water when it should be 2 tablespoons of butter. I was confused so I checked the KAF site. Thanks for the inspiration! I just took the buns out of the oven and they look and smell divine.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi The Empress of Everything,
    Oops... Thank you for bringing that to my attention! I have corrected the recipe. Did you enjoy the buns?
    Thank you too for visiting my site and hope to see you again. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete