Sunday, April 1, 2012

Buttery Pull-Apart Dinner Rolls : ABC April 2012

I was all smiles when this buttery rolls was chosen for this month's Avid Bakers' Challenge. This recipe is from "The Weekend Baker" by Abigail Johnson Dodge, the cookbook that ABC is currently baking from. As I am into bread-making lately, I was really looking forward to bake this. Abby has given a number of flavour variations for these rolls, and I have chosen to make this with poppy seeds. 



I use the stand mixer to mix the dough. The recipe calls for half-and-half, but I substitute with whole milk. And I use bread flour instead of all-purpose flour. The milk and butter are heated until the butter has melted, left to cool for about 5 minutes, temperature should be between 46 and 52C (any hotter than this will kill the yeast), add in to the flour mixture in the mixer in a consistent drizzle. The egg yolks are added in, instructions is to knead it for about 5minutes until the dough is smooth, but mine took about 10 minutes. Remove dough, shape into a ball and place back into the mixer bowl which has been greased lightly with oil. Cover and leave to rise until doubled in size for about 50 minutes. Wow! Look at the beautiful risen dough! I love seeing the dough when it has risen!


The dough was a delight to work with. It is just as Abby describes, there is no need to flour your hands or the work surface, the dough is soft but not sticky and so easy to handle.  Divide the dough into 16 equal sizes of about 57 or 58gm each, with a cupped palm, press down gently but firmly, rolling the pieces in tight circles on the work surface until it forms a smooth-skinned ball with a seam on the bottom. Place the ball, seam side down in a greased baking pan, here I use a square 10" pan. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise until they are 1-1/2 times their original size, about 50 minutes.


The beautifully risen rolls, this is the part that I love the most about bread making!  Scatter the balance poppy seeds evenly on top and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.



The beautiful baked rolls! Brush with some melted butter while still hot.


They rose even higher as they are baking in the oven!



The Pull-Apart Pictures!

I just got to include the pull-apart pictures! After all this is a "Buttery Pull-Apart Dinner Rolls" !! 
Wow, look at the fluffiness and softness of the rolls!


The soft texture. 


To me, this is one perfect roll. I was smiling from left to right ,  hehe! ....especially after 


eating this... truly delicious! Soft, tender, fluffy and buttery! If a picture could say a thousand words, this picture would be it!  LOL!! And the great thing is, these dinner rolls are just as soft and fluffy on the next day! 

If you would like to try out this fantastic dinner rolls, you may get the recipe here, or, get the book! This is my fourth bake from this book, and all four are keepers! 


Avid Baker's Challenge


Please do visit other ABC bakers link, here, to see their Buttery Rolls. If you have this book "The Weekend Baker" by Abigail Johnson Dodge and interested to join in, please get the full details on how to be a member over at ABC

26 comments:

  1. it is so soft... and looks yum :) .. charming dinner rolls
    Noel collections

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Those look perfect! Love the shot of the rolls being pulled apart and all fluffy and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Que bien con las semillas.
    Un saludito

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really 'enjoy' your soft n fluffy buns. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Joyce,

    OMG, this bread looks really really soft! and i like the part when u said it's still soft til the next day, my kind of bread :)
    this made me realize it's been awhile since the last time i baked bread, it's time it's time :P
    oh but i dun have thermometer to check the melted butter, may i know what thermometer u use? so i know which one to buy - thks :)
    the only thermometer i have at home is only oven thermometer and body thermometer LOL

    I'm so keen in joining ABC that I have the book on the way, will be able to join the 5th one, better late than never :P
    I agree with u, the previous 4 recipes were all made me drooling, I can see they are all a keeper :)

    thks for joining the event, so i could find out too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice,
      Thanks! Yes, the magic words "soft till the next day"! They truly are! :)
      I have a thermometer which I bought quite sometime ago, cheap but not really reliable. So sometimes, eg for these dinner rolls, I depend on my own judgement! So far so good! I have seen some candy themometer but they are extremely expensive, though I think investing in one is worth it. This is one item definitely on my wishlist, among other things!
      It is great that you will be joining ABC!! Hop over to ABC's site and leave a word with Hanaa that you are interested to join in. I'm really happy that we will be baking together in another wonderful baking event. I really like this book. Make these dinner rolls, your kids will love it! I'm making these again this week! :) Have a lovely week, Alice!

      Delete
  6. Wow! Your rolls turned out beautifully! They look so soft and fluffy...mine did not fare as well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your rolls look awesome Joyce!! Looks really light and fluffy and rose really well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi friends,
    Some of your comments did not appear here. Don't know why, but I did receive them, as they went to my kitchenflavours email. Thank you for your comments!

    Lena, there's no more rolls for you to pull-apart, we finished them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look delicious! I'll be a little late getting mine done this month, but after seeing yours - so tender looking - I can't wait to get in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The rolls look simply superb, the pictures justify the 'pull apart' part, awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Got to make these rolls this weekend! These rolls are simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a beautiful batch. definitely making them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. cantiknya..bila mo buat kasi gua makan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Joyce, I love your bread rolls, esp the shots that you pulled out the bread roll! They look very soft!You know the 1st time I baked my potato buns(not long ago), it was my very 1st time of making bread. I kept looking at the buns & asked myself why they didn't pop up high like the one that I put in a paper cup, it is because I used a large baking tray, not a square pan like yours. In my next try, I'll definitely use the pan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! they look utterly butterly delicious! soo soft n airy, it makes me droolll!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your rolls turned out really good, Joyce!! Great job! I froze the rest of the rolls but left one on the counter. I just ate it (two days after making it) and it was still soft and I even subbed 25% of the flour with WW flour! Definitely a good recipe to turn to over and over again. Thanks for letting Alice know about ABC. I left her a comment on her blog with my email address so she can contact me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely rolls, those pull apart pictures are so good! the last picture make it looks like it's made out of cotton wool! Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my gosh I am in roll heaven! They look just utterly divine! The butter!! Oh the butter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, these dinner rolls look great...love the texture of the rolls, so light and fluffy.
    Thanks for this nice post and hope you have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, they really do look fluffy and delicious! I want to try these soon. I'll be checking out that wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These pull-apart rolls look delicious. Love the speckles of poppyseeds!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome goodness! Will add this to my 'to-do' list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely a hit! I love those pulling apart action pics! And the interior is so fluffy. Those poppy seeds really make them look special.

    ReplyDelete