Saturday, May 19, 2012

Green Chile And Cheese Cornbread : IHCC, Rick Bayless

Theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs this week is all about "Yellow", where we are currently cooking from Rick Bayless's recipes. What is yellow and yummy? Corn, of course! But in this case, it is cornmeal. Beautiful yellow cornmeal turns into a scrumptious yummy cornbread, and it is so easy! This recipe of Rick Bayless's Cornbread, uses Poblano chiles, which I can never find over here, so I just omitted that. And he uses only 1 jalapeno chile for the full recipe, but I used 4 jalapenos for half the recipe.  I'm a fan of jalapenos!


Lovely sunny yellow of cornmeal and a lighter side of yellow from the cheese. I replaced the Monterey Jack cheese with Cheddar cheese instead.


Green fresh jalapenos. I roasted the jalapenos in a dry saucepan until the skins are blistered and cracked. Wrapped them up in towel, leave to cool. Peel the skin, seeded and chopped to small bits. The jalapenos has a lovely smokey roasted aroma, yum!


The original recipe is baked using a 9" square pan, but since I only made half the recipe, I baked them in muffin pans instead, which yield exactly 6 standard muffins.


Golden and beautiful cornbread.


These cornbread are really delicious!


It has a moist, soft texture and very tasty. And I love the bits of green jalapenos in the golden yellow cornbread. I ate one while still warm, and it was so good, moist from the cheese and the smell of the roasted jalapenos is very nice, with a slight hint of spiciness. This recipe is a keeper! We ate this with some mushroom soup for a simple lunch. If you are a fan of cornbread with jalapenos,  make a batch, you will be glad that you did! I will definitely be making this again as a base recipe for cornbread, perhaps with some onions and chives, lovely! And with some homemade chilis, even better!


To see what the others are making, please visit IHCC.


Rick Bayless @IHCC button rounded



I'm sharing this too with :
BYOB, Bake Your Own Bread at Girlichef
Bake With Bizzy at Bizzy Bakes
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage


Green Chile and Cheese Cornbread
(source from : fronterafiesta, Rick Bayless)
1 poblano chile
1 jalapeno pepper
1-1/4 cups cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese

  1. Roast poblano and jalapeno over a gas flame, turning often, until skin in blackened on all sides. Wrap in a towel and let cool. Peel, cut into half, remove seeds and core. Cut poblano into 1/4-inch diced. Finely chop the jalapeno.
  2. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Generously grease a 9 by 9-inch baking pan.
  3. Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Mix eggs, milk and buttermilk in small bowl. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Gently fold in melted butter, poblano, jalapeno and cheese. Do not over mix.
  4. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.

26 comments:

  1. Savory muffins with spicy chilies,I like! Must be very fragrant with those cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds like a perfect cornbread, the first time I made cornbread it was rather crumbly and hard to cut, yours looks so moist and soft! Got to give cornbread another try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow I love those muffins with green chillies...must be very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum and I love that you made them in muffin cups, so easy to put away for lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. one day i must really try chilli in bakes like these! the inside of the cornbread looks very tempting indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely baked muffins. Wonderful pics.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely muffins. Would love to have these for my breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They came out super prefect, very tempting cornbread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful; looks like it would melt in your mouth.Perfection!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome muffin recipe. looks very good

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow!!!!!!!must be very tasty!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ummm, mmmm! They look delicious! I'm a cornbread addict and have to make these. Rick recipes are great and so are his restaurants here in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the way you adapted this recipe to make it your own, Joyce. As you know, I'm a huge fan of Rick Bayless and I am delighted you are having such fun experiencing the flavors he shares.

    Of course, I adore Cornbread so I will be saving this page too:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was wanting to make a cornbread this weekend. I'll have to make these now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm, I've smelt your cornmeal bread from here! This is a totally new recipe for me & the bread looks cute in the muffin case,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh! The texture of these muffins looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This cornbread sounds amazing Joyce. I have this bag of cornmeal waiting in my pantry to make some goodness... Maybe i'll give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look so moist and delicious! The roasted chilies must add a wonderful flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I REALLY love cornbread and this looks like an exceptionally moist recipe. Love that you really spiced things up with extra jalapenos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would have used more jalapenos, too. I've used jalapenos in cornbread, but not with cheese... I'm going to try that next time. Nice choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum! I love cornbread, and what a great idea to have chilies in them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks so awesome, nice spicy one too..

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have only seen flat cornbread and it was rather plain. Yours is beautiful! I am itching to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous cornbread--it is making my mouth water. Love that you used the jalapenos and made it extra-spicy. Great pick! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the best looking cornbread, I have seen. I want to race to the kitchen and make it but it will have to wait. This is being featured at Bake with Bizzy. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Not a fan - these were awful ! Baking time (20 min.) was much too long at 425 degrees. Should have trusted my instincts and pulled them out sooner. Each muffin was dry as a cork. :(

    ReplyDelete