Saturday, March 30, 2013

Prawns with Crushed Mustard Seeds : IHCC

"Alavida Madhur" (Goodbye Madhur), is our theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), and this is the last week that we are cooking from Madhur Jaffrey's recipes. It has been a fantastic and delicious 6 months cooking from The Queen of Spice's wonderful recipes. Indian cuisine has always been my very favourite, and the past six months has really been a delicious cooking adventure, and most of the recipes that I've tried shall make a return in my kitchen. A few favourites have already been repeated in my kitchen a number of times. And I will continue on to cook from the many recipes that I have bookmarked to try!




Starting from April through September, we will be starting with a new chef, Yotam Ottolenghi, an Israel-born, now based in London, and already have a few fantastic cookbooks to his name. He is most famous for his colourful and delicious vegetarian dishes, with a Mediterranean flair. I am pretty excited as I have never cooked any Mediterranean recipes before! If you would like to join us, please drop by IHCC for the full details.

So, for today, this dish Prawns with Crushed Mustard Seeds wraps up the last post of  Cooking with Madhur Jaffrey with my friends at IHCC. This is a delicious dish, cooked in a sauce of crushed mustard seeds. I can see a repetition of this dish in my kitchen in the future.



Suitable for kids and those who do not like spicy dish. The only spicy ingredient is the sprinkling of black pepper powder, which can be easily omitted if serving to kids. Here I have used the minimum amount as my kids are eating this as well, the next time when I cooked this for myself, I'll add red chilli flakes and more  black pepper powder for extra spicy kick. This dish is delicious served with plain white rice.



To wrap up this last post on Cooking with Madhur Jaffrey, I have listed a few favourites of mine.

Prawns with Crushed Mustard Seeds, what can I say, there was no leftovers!


Hare Masale Ka Omlate (Eggs with Fresh Green Herbs) : I really love this omelette dish, great as a main meal for a quick lunch, or to serve as a dish for the dinner table. The vibrant sunny yellow colour definitely makes it very appetizing!


Fried Fish Steaks : A simple mixed of masala spices marinated into the fish steaks. Very tasty and goes great with just any rice pilaf or plain white rice.


Red Pork Curry : This is by far my most favourite! The pork is cooked till very tender with all the flavours and fragrance from the spices.


Stir-Fried Cabbages with Fennel Seeds : Simple and delicious! 


Turmeric Rice : I have cooked this many times! Very good with any types of curries.





Please stop by I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) to view the delicious dish that my friends has made.


Prawns with Crushed Mustard Seeds
(source from : 100 Essential Curries, Madhur Jaffrey)
Serves 3-4
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons tomato puree
4 tablespoons mustard oil, or other vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 thin slices fresh root ginger, peeled
1 hot dried red chilli
450gm (1 lb) headless prawns, peeled, de-vein and washed
1/4 teaspoon salt
large pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice

Step One
Crush the mustard seeds, using a pestle or mortar or spice or coffee grinder.

Step Two 
In a small bowl, mix the crushed mustard seeds, turmeric and  tomato puree, together with 3 tablespoons hot water. Set aside.

Step Three
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic cloves, ginger slices and dried chilli and fry, stirring, for a few seconds until the mixture begins to darken, then add the prawns. Fry, stirring, until the prawns turn opaque. Stir in the mustard seed paste and turn the heat to medium-low. Add the salt, pepper and lemon or lime juice. Fry, stirring, for a further 2 minutes. Transfer to a warm serving dish.

#29/100


21 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce
    I am speechless but drooling as I scroll from one photo down to another. Everything seems so delicious and flavourful dishes. The prawns must taste awesome cooked with the mustard seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce , I just can imagine all those wonderful spices in there . I love everything esp the red pork curry :D I'm sure it tastes as scrumptious as it looks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sedapnya..so kuasa you try each book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All these dishes sound fabulous. You've convinced me to try the red pork curry. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Prawns and look amazing! really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dishes, Joyce! Especially the prawns, my family loves them! I have to try that and the cabbage with the fennel also. And then the eggs. Everything looks great and now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made some wonderful Jaffrey dishes. I almost had the eggs with green herbs on my top list too. ;-) Those prawns are especially gorgeous--great color and they look like they have so much delicious flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe looks really yummy! I must try this one day. And oh that red pork curry must have been super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy looking prawns, even with the mustard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious selection of recipes! I would love the prawns and mustard seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious, Joyce. I love prawns just about any way, and these would definitely go down well around here with the person who doesn't like things too spicy. I must try that red pork curry too - looks wonderful. I've made the turmeric rice a few times too ever since you first posted it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks a lot for posting this wonderful array of recipes.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously got me drooling even after my dinner.. =) A plat of rice with curry and fish and cabbage...

    ReplyDelete
  14. isnt that a wonderful thing your family is following thru all your cooking adventures? wow,mediterranean food next..i'm sure they are just as excited as your are! so when are you going to throw a indian lunch party for us?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice round-up! I like the looks of the shrimp w/ mustard seeds...can see how it would be in your list of favorites. I'll have to try it since we love shrimp. And I have a large bottle of mustard seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joyce,
    Scroll down all your Indian food, I love your turmeric rice and red pork curry. Yum yum!

    This prawn with mustards seed looks inviting!
    I have all the ingredients on hand. Will try cooking this today!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joyce, the prawns look yum! Oh, the red pork curry - I forgot all about it until now. Hah! Hah! So many recipes I want to try and so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUMMY.
    I LOVE IT.Thanks for your post.I will review it again.Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  19. The prawns look good and I am looking forward to see the vegetarian dishes you'll be dishing up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that you finished things off with MJ by cooking up prawns! Any prawn dish is a celebration in itself. I enjoyed reading through all of your favorite MJ dishes. I remember when you posted the red pork curry and I can see why it would be your personal fave.

    Thanks for cooking along with us!

    ReplyDelete