Thursday, April 18, 2013

THB : Essence of Orange-Chocolate Wafer Cake

It's bake time at The Home Bakers (THB). Essence of Orange-Chocolate Wafer Cake is the bake for this week, chosen by Eileen of Hundred Eighty Degrees. A delightful pick, Eileen, I've enjoyed this cake very, very much!

When I first read the recipe, I was intrigued by the usage of a whole large orange, minus the seeds, which is blended to a puree together with a whole cup of golden raisins. I have never tried baking a cake with the mixture of pureed orange and golden raisins before and was somewhat curious as to the taste and texture, which should be really moist.


I've made half a recipe and baked in a 7" round springform pan. The only changes I've made was to reduce the sugar from the original 1/2 cup for half a recipe to 1/3 cup, and it was just right for me. And I've added in 1/2 teaspoon of orange essence. 

From the picture in the book, the cake was very attractively scattered with pieces of round chocolate wafer on the top. I've only have about 6 pieces of round milk chocolates and used all of that, and chocolate chips for the batter.

Baked for 40 minutes at 175C, tending the top with foil for the last ten minutes as the top was already a nice golden brown, and the centre was not quite done yet.



Could not wait for the cake to cool down! As I cut the first slice, I can feel the tenderness of the cake. It is really moist, soft and tender, with buttery, orangey taste. And the chocolate chips in the batter, makes the cake extra yummy! I can taste the golden raisins, maybe simply because I knew its's there! 


Fresh orange and golden raisins, pureed to a thick paste.


A slice is lovely with a cup of warm tea.

For the full recipe, please visit Eileen from Hundred Eighty Degrees and to view other members' bake, drop by The Home Bakers (THB).



Welcome to The Home Bakers


We are a group of home bakers who are currently baking from "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas, until each recipe from this book has been baked. This is our bake no. 17 and we have 43 recipes more to go. If you are interested to be a member and join in our bakes, you may drop me an email at kitchenflavours@yahoo.com.

#36/100

31 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce,

    This is indeed an interesting cake to bake. I have chose to bake my cake with cooked orange and turned out to be like a slice rather than a cake. Nevertheless the cake tastes good with the classic orange-dark chocolate bittersweet combination.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Joyce! Wah, can have one of your cake for my brunch later? So the oranges including the "skin" put into blender? Must be able to taste the zest better in this way, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed this cake seem unique and the specialty is puree the orange and the raisin together. This cake must taste of citrus, right? It sure looking yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce, May I have one slice please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate and orange as the ingredient, this sounds perfect for my liking. You have done a really good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me encanta este pastel se ve muy irresistible muy muy rico,abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce this cake look georgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm here to look at the cake first..then bake later! LOL! i still hv some raisins with me...not sure if they are black or golden raisins...if black, probably it will turn out as a dark cake ..:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce, I like the look of the cake with the chocolate wafers on top. Not really a fan of orange flavoured cakes so I will concentrate on the chocolate bits only :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I loved this cake so much because of the natural sweetness. I also reduced the amount of sugar, and by half! Your cake looks gorgeously golden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely cake texture joyce.. mine is on a different modification...kekeke...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish i get a slice of this cake, very moist cake..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought it's the same as Nigella's chocolate orange cake :D This recipe is much easier ...... Perfectly- baked , the texture looks really moist and buttery ! The flavor sounds wonderfully refreshing .....

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful cake! I love the combination of orange and chocolate - yours looks SO scrumptious!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nicely decorated, I have tried baking with cooked orange before using another recipe and can't say i like it though...should give it another chance and try again huh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. P.E.R.F.E.C.T.!!!

    and great with ice cream! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesThursday, April 18, 2013

    Hi Joyce, glad that you've enjoyed the cake very much. Yours look good with the chocolate buttons :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh it looks really moist! I love baking cakes using orange juice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Joyce! Your cake looks really pretty, with the huge chocolate buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks so delicious!

    kiss
    from
    Greece

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds so good, Joyce! I can tell how moist it must be and I love the idea of orange and chocolate together.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delicioso, sorprendente ha de estar riquisimo. Te lo copio para hacerlo. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This cake look so moist and yummy. I wouldn't be able to resist taking a bite as soon as I pulled it out of the oven! Thank you for sharing. A delicious end to a good evening. I hope you have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The cake looks very moist and I know the combination of orange-chocolate is so irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow.. not oni us but my BIL n SIL will oso like this.. nampak so lembut and sedap.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A very moist and delicious cake. Love the combo of orange and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is indeed a very yummilicious cake! Yours looks perfecto! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Joyce, I love how the chocolate wafers look on your moist and decadent cake :) This orange-chocolate combination is just superb!

    ReplyDelete