Monday, January 19, 2015

Mark Bittman's Cinnamon Scented Fried Chicken

"January Potluck", the theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). This is our first potluck at IHCC for 2015 and we can cook from any of our previous and current featured chefs. I've made Mark Bittman's Cinnamon Scented Fried Chicken, first recipe that I've tried from Mark Bittman. 



Do you like fried chicken? Most probably the answer is a YES! What's not to love about fried chicken. Juicy, tasty meat with crispy delicious skin, (don't think about all that calories!). Mark Bittman's fried chicken is just that. His recipe is just like any other basic fried chicken, only difference is, he added a generous 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon, for that lovely cinnamon fragrance. All the dry ingredients are mixed in a plastic bag, toss in a couple of chicken pieces at a time until well coated, and fry in oil until cooked and crispy. I've added another teaspoon of ground cinnamon after I test-fried a piece of chicken wing and tried it, I felt that it needed a little bit more cinnamon, and more salt, adjust accordingly to your taste. Serve these fried chicken while still hot, but do not expect it to be so crispy crunchy, as there's only flour and seasoning that coats the chicken, but they do have a light, skin crispiness, and the meat is juicy, moist and tasty. They will lose their crispiness when they are no longer hot, but tastes still good.


Mark Bittman's Cinnamon-Scented Fried Chicken
(adapted from "The New York Times Chicken Cookbook")
lard and butter combined, or vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon coarse salt
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 good chicken, cut into serving pieces, or use 8 to 10 leg pieces (drumsticks and thighs), trimmed of excess fat

  1. Choose a skillet or casserole at least 12 inches in diameter that can be covered. Add enough fat to come to a depth of about 1/2 inch, and turn heat to medium-high. If you are using butter, skim any foam as it rises to the surface.
  2. While fat heats, mix together the flour and seasonings in a plastic bag. Toss chicken in bag, 2 or 3 pieces at a time, until well coated. Put pieces on a rack as you finish.
  3. When oil is hot (a pinch of flour will sizzle) raise heat to high. Slowly add chicken pieces to skillet (if you add them all at once, temeperature will plummet). Cover skillet, reduce heat to medium-high, and cook for 7 minutes.
  4. Uncover skillet, turn chicken and continue to cook, uncovered, for another 7 minutes. Turn chicken again and cook for about 5 minutes more, turning as necessary to ensure that both sides are golden brown.
  5. Remove chicken from skillet and drain on paper towels. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.

I'm linking this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week "January Potluck"



and

Cook-Your-Books


*********************************

And I'm sharing this cookbook "The New York Times Chicken Cookbook, edited by Linda Amster" with Cookbook Wednesday hosted by Louise of Months of Edible Celebrations. It's a collection of chicken recipes from different chefs (some very impressive names: Jacques Peppin, Patricia Wells, Nigella Lawson, Mark Bittman, Daniel Boulud, Craig Claiborne and others) and with various methods of cooking chicken ; roast, steam, poach, bake, fried, slow-cooked, grill. A book for chicken lovers!

Cookbook Wednesday Logo        


18 comments:

  1. Now we don't need to go to KFC anymore! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Joyce! Who doesn't like fried chicken? LOL! Interesting that this recipe uses quite a bit of cinnamon. I feel so hungry right now hah..hah...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am starving and have no dinner tonight... i am just wowing at your fried chicken! no i cannot resist fried chicken.. and cannot resist yours for sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce,
    I occasionally fried chicken though lots of cleaning to do in the kitchen.
    This recipe with ground cinnamon surely flavourful ... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks sooo good. Cinnamon is such an unusual spice to use in fried chicken but it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce!
    Oh my yumminess!!! I LOVE fried chicken but have never seen a recipe that uses Cinnamon. What an interesting ingredient to add. Leave it to Bittman to give it a twist, lol...I think it's hysterical that you added even more, you usually take ingredients out not add more, lol...

    I'm delighted you linked this to Cookbook Wednesday. I think when Cookbook Wednesday is over this month I will look try to join the Potluck event. Marion has me cooking up a storm these days, lol...

    Thanks for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of cinnamon-scented fried chicken until today...your fried chicken looks finger-licking good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy new year, Joyce! I love fried chic! But I haven't tasted such fried chic (cinnamon scented) before. The fried chics on the plate in the pic look really nice. They must have tasted really yummy. Good try!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your chicken looks delicious, Joyce! I'm looking forward to trying your recipe with the cinnamon. Sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds good. I ate some fried fish at a restaurant once, and I thought I picked up a hint of cinnamon. Maybe it's more common than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joyce , love fried chicken and this is a must try . Thanks for sharing Nee :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy cinnamon in savory dishes and love how unique it is used in this fried chicken. Love that Bittman!
    I bet it smelled delectable cooking. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. cinnamon scented fried chicken? Oh my did my ears hear this right. I have never though about that combo before but I can truly see where it would be delicious. I am intrigued now- must try this

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love, love fried chicken, and I'm totally intrigued about flavouring with cinnamon - sounds like a bit of Mark Bittman genius.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks perfect and adding cinnamon is intriguing! I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that sounds totally amazing! Mark Bittman can make such simple dishes taste so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been so hungry for fried chicken, Joyce! I think the skin on your chicken looks very light, crispy and delicious! Like Sue, I'm intrigued with the use of cinnamon in the coating. I bet it adds a nice warmth to the dish. Wonderful choice:)

    ReplyDelete