Saturday, January 31, 2015

Sour Cream Sandwich Bread

If you are looking for a sandwich bread that has soft moist tender crumb and golden crust, this is one bread that you should try. This lovely recipe is from Dan Lepard, which you can get from guardian.com, here. According to Dan Lepard, the fat content in the sour cream is what gives the crust its tenderness, so don't be tempted by any low fat substitutes. This bread has incredible oven spring, so give this loaf plenty of headroom when you put the loaf in the oven to bake.


Just as he says, this bread rose really high during the first 15 minutes of baking! After about 30 minutes of baking, I tent the top with foil as it is beginning to brown before the cake is done baking. When I remove the loaf right after baking, I can feel the softness of the loaf! 



This is one outstanding loaf. The crumbs are soft, moist and tastes really good. I ate most of the slices with a generous spread of cold salted butter (my favourite way of eating white soft breads), with mugs of hot coffee, really good. And we had a few slices made into sandwich with mashed egg filling, and it makes such a good sandwich bread. A definite keeper recipe! It is now one of my favourite bread! 

This bread is really easy to make. There's not much kneading at all, the only thing is, to let the dough rest for about 10 minutes after a brief kneading and folding, and this is repeated two more times. The only changes I made was to use only 1 teaspoon of salt instead of 2 teaspoons, and the light saltiness is just right for us.


Lovely moist, soft, tender crumbs.

I got the recipe from Dan Lepard's book "Short & Sweet" a fabulous book that I've bought from last December's book sale. You can get the recipe from guardian's website, here. I highly encourage you to make this bread, you would be glad you did!


I'm linking this post to :

Cook-Your-Books



20 comments:

  1. The bread has such a beautiful soft crumb! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce, this loaf sounds easy to make as not much kneading is required. I am tempted to try but perhaps would like to substitute the sour cream with greek yogurt, hope it turns out just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish I can make bread like this.....looks so nice and fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce! Your loaf has the nostalgic feel that brings me back to my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce!!!
    Wow! That is one heavenly looking bread! I would never think to use sour cream in a bread recipe but then you know me, I'm not much of a bread baker, lol...This bread really looks enticing. I may just pass it on to my daughter to check out!

    Thanks so much for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  6. this bread look amazing dear Joyce!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homemade bread is the BEST! This one looks perfect for sandwiches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Day Joyce

    Thank you for your input of this bread. I noticed that the recipe never states bread flour. May I confirm was it bread flour or all purpose flour you'd used in making your loaf?

    Blessings
    Priscilla Poh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Priscilla,
      I've used bread flour. This is one lovely bread, hope you give it a try! Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. Joyce , I've just checked Dan Lepard's Short and Sweet book at the lib's online catalog and guess what ?! lol Gonna reserve it later and hopefully , I can bake something before returning it .

    By the way , I've just finished making homemade mascarpone , I tried the recipe which I lifted from this site :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce, I always admire your home baked breads and this one is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce, your bread looks great! I always add sour cream to corn bread, it's delicious and doesn't crumble, now to try it in this good sandwich bread.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce the recipe online is the same as the book? May I know how big is your loaf pan? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edith,
      Yes, the recipe ingredients are the same. I used a 9"x5" loaf pan with straight sides, and did not line it with parchment paper. I simply greased the pan with butter.

      Delete
  13. Hi Joyce,

    I saw a Dan Lepard book recently... and was feeling excited!!! I told my husband and son that this is the author that Lena and Joyce are talking about... They were like "huh".... I'm sure that they must be thinking that mum is mad again... LOL!!!

    Nice bread... You always convince me well enough that some authors and books are really good and you are always right!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joyce,
    May I know how many grams of instant yeast is required? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beanie,
      1 sachet = 2-1/4 teaspoons = 7gm of instant yeast. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  15. Hi Joyce, yes it does. Thank you once again. Going to try out this bread :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome! I'm sure that you would love this bread! Happy Baking!
      p/s : I've used only 1 tsp of salt, as mentioned in my post above. You could use the full amount of salt as per the recipe, but 1 tsp works well for me.

      Delete