Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread

This week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), the theme is How Easy Is That? We are cooking with Ina Garten@Barefoot Contessa. She has a book titled as such, How Easy Is That?. But we can cook any of her recipes which we deem easy, not necessarily from this book. And I've made her Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread, as I love cornbread! I got this recipe from her website but it can also be  found in another of her cookbook, Barefoot Contessa At Home. I have made quite a number of cornbread with different recipes over the years, and after making Ina's recipe, it is one of my top favourite, preferring her cornbread to Hugh-Fearnley Whittingstall's recipe which I've made here



Ina's recipe made quite a large tray, since there are only three of us, I have made only half, and baked in a 8"square baking pan. A very easy and quick cornbread to make. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, the wet ingredients in another bowl, then mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stir to combine but do not overmix. The batter is then left for 20 minutes at room temperature before it is poured into the prepared baking pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until done. How easy is that?

I've used salted butter, so I have omitted the salt. I've used two whole jalapenos and added more scallions than the recipe calls for. For half a recipe, I've used only one extra-large egg. I did not scatter any Cheddar over the batter, I've sprinkled only with the chopped scallions. 




This cornbread is really, really, yummy! And I would add more jalapenos the next time. So moist, with soft crumbs and delicious, especially when eaten while still warm. A few slices is great for a simple lunch, and it is also really good for afternoon tea-time, with a mug of warm tea, which is how I enjoyed it!


* my measurements listed in blue for half a recipe, baked in a 8"square baking pan
Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
(barefootcontessa.com)
3 cups all-purpose flour (1-1/2 cups)
1 cup yellow cornmeal (1/2 cup)
1/4 cup sugar (2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons baking powder (1 tablespoon)
2 teaspoons kosher salt (omitted)
2 cups milk (1 cup)
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten (1 extra-large)
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan (125gm, salted)
8 ounces aged extra-sharp Cheddar, grated, divided (1 cup)
1/3 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts, plus extra for garnish (3 scallions) (1/2 cup, total)
3 tablespoons seeded and minced fresh jalapeno peppers (2 to 3 peppers) (2 jalapenos)

Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don't overmix! Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar, the scallions and jalapenos, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13x2-inch baking pan.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
How Easy Is That?


10 comments:

  1. This looks indeed really delicious with jalapeno and cheddar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I love this cornbread and want to try it. Thanks for the recipe, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had cornbread and I wonder what it is like. I once bought cornmeal and then left it in the pantry until it expired. By the time I discovered, it was one year past due LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like cornbread too but sadly my son does not so I don't make it often. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The color, texture and, I'm sure, the taste too of this cornbread is exceptional as you describes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thing I've noticed is that Ina's recipes serve a lot of people! Like you, I have also been cutting recipes in half.

    This cornbread looks incredible! I love that you have really doubled up on the green onions and jalapeno. The cornbread looks like it is packed with flavor and it is certainly very pretty filled with all the green. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hah! I made this recipe years ago when I was first blogging and it is a delicious cornbread but I do remembering lecturing Ina in my head about all the butter in it!
    ;-) The flavor and moistness do make it worth the indulgence though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband makes great cornbread from scratch. I stopped buying the packages years ago. I love the sound of this recipe and will nudge my husband to make it.

    ReplyDelete